St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney’s Pain Medicine department offers assessment, management services and programs for patients experiencing persisting pain. This includes post trauma, surgeryand pain arising from chronic medical conditions. The Hospital’s services include consultation for inpatients and an outpatient chronic pain clinic for people living in the community. For ruraland regional patients, a telehealth service is also offered as well as delivering rural education weekends and pain clinics as part of the Hospital’s outreach service.
St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney developed Australia’s first online multidisciplinary pain management program offering participants pain education and strategies from physiotherapy, psychology and other forms of treatment, and is now a sought-after program globally.
Supported a bequest from the late Valerie McKenzie this scholarship will fund one Australian and one American graduate level clinician researcher to undertake research in the field of PainManagement and Rehabilitation Medicine.
The duration of the exchange is to be no less than three months and must begin within a year from the application closing date. Funds of US$40,000 will be provided to each scholar tosupport travel costs, living expenses, visas, insurance and any other costs associated with living abroad.
Australian Applicants: Participant placement will be carried out an accredited US healthcare or medical research institution.
American Applicants: Participant placement will be carried out at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney under the supervision of Professor Steven Faux [link to research and bio].
Australia to USA: Open for application on January 1 to March 31.
USA to Australia: Open for application on August 1 to September 30.
- Applicant is an early-career clinician researcher, specialising in Pain Management and/or Rehabilition Medicine
- Australia to USA Applicants:
- Affiliated with St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney
- Has an affiliation, placement or letter of offer from an accredited American healthcare or medical research institution
- Are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- USA to Australia Applicants:
- Plan to undertake their exchange placement at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney
- Are a US citizen or permanent resident
- Applicant is committed to pursuing their area of study as a long-term career, and the applicant’s references indicate strong professional promise.
- Applicant is committed to completing a report within two months after return to their home country outlining the benefits, results and impact of the exchange, including academic publications, new or strengthened institutional partnerships, individual career progression, contribution to the Hospital and Australia’s goal of driving growth in translational research and clinical sectors. A template will be provided.
Required Application Documents:
Application links to apply online will be made available on this page when each application round is open (as per the dates listed above). Once you have started your application you can save, leave and go back to your application at any time before submitting. Please ensure to save your application each time you exit the browser in case of unforeseen technical difficulties. You will be notified of the results of your application roughly ten weeks after the deadline, at which shortlisted applicants will receive furth instruction.
- High-resolution headshot & in-action study field shot (min 1MB, 300 DPI);
- Video presentation (max 1 minute – introducing yourself & your planned research/study abroad);
- Passport biographic page from Australia or USA;
- Offer or acceptance letter from your host university or research supervisor, confirming your placement;
- Academic transcripts for Graduate and/or Undergraduate study;
- Resume (please reduce to 1-page);
- Detailed budget outlining expenses and income throughout the year of supported study – please download and use the Graduate Education Scholarships Budget Template as a guide. This is available to download in the application portal;
- Three referees to list in the Letter of Recommendation section. Please note: after listing, referees will be automatically contacted to complete a recommendation within the online submission form. This is not viewable to the applicant.