American Australian Association

Exchange Visitor Program | J1 Visa


The American Australian Association is designated by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) to administer the BridgeUSA for the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and provide J-1 visa sponsorship to Australian and New Zealand citizens under the Intern Exchange Program and the 12-Month Student Work and Travel Pilot Program.

Intern Program


The primary objectives of the programs offered under these regulations are to enhance the skills and expertise of exchange visitors in their academic or occupational fields through participation in structured and guided work-based training and internship programs and to improve participants’ knowledge of American techniques, methodologies, and technology. Such training and internship programs are also intended to increase participants’ understanding of American culture and society and to enhance Americans’ knowledge of foreign cultures and skills through an open interchange of ideas between participants and their American associates. A key goal of the Fulbright-Hays Act, which authorizes these programs, is that participants will return to their home countries and share their experiences with their countrymen.

The American Australian Association offers J-1 Intern sponsorship to current or recently graduated Australian students in the following fields:
– Public Policy & Law
– Management, Business, Commerce & Finance
– The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
– Arts & Culture

For internships up to 12 months, students must find their own internship programs. Internships can be unpaid; however, students are not allowed to take up any work outside their internship.

Applicants must be:

  • Accepted into a full-time American Internship program with a completed Training and Internship Placement Program (T/IPP) form (part of DS 7002 form); the applicant connects AAA to her/his Internship coordinator who discusses the program with AAA. The Intern Program requires Form DS 7002, with details of Internship plans, preferably divided into multiples phases depending on the length of the internship.
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen;
  • Aged 18 years or older;
  • A full time, class room based undergraduate student enrolled at an Australian university or TAFE college (minimum Diploma level course of 2 years duration) and have successfully completed the first year of study; or continuing postgraduate student completing higher studies immediately following undergraduate study; or  
  • Have graduated from a course specified above within the past 12 months;
  • Purchased approved Medical Insurance that covers the exchange student for the duration of the program (details below)
  • Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support yourself.


Below are the documents that we require from the host company:
1. Completed DS-7002 form
2. Business License

       Acceptable documents can include any business, professional, privilege, or occupational license, permit, registration, or certificate issued by the jurisdiction where the business operates granting the employer the right to operate in that jurisdiction. Where the jurisdiction does not issue tangible business licenses, the employer’s online listing or filing on the state Secretary of State website showing the entity to be in “good standing” may be acceptable. Documents issued by a government tax authority, authorizing a business to collect taxes, will not be accepted.

       Acceptable documents must:

  • Include the name of the business.
  • Be valid for the duration of the participant’s program.
  • Show that your business is authorized to operate in the city, county, state, or jurisdiction in which it resides.

3. Proof of Worker’s Compensation Coverage

       This includes either a deck sheet or the policy’s cover page.

       This document should include:

  • Policy holder’s name (business name), Carrier name (insurance company), Policy number, Site address(es) where participants will be working
  • Effective dates – must be valid for the duration of the participant’s program. You will be asked to upload an updated copy once the current policy expires.
  • Limits of Liability

       This information can usually be found within the first two pages of the policy. If this information is on more than one page, please send all pages that include the required information.


  • Administrative Fee US $1200
  • Individual AAA Membership – US $150
  • Fedex International return service – US $125
  • DS-2019 re-issuance fee (payable only if lost or changes required) US $50


  • SEVIS I-901 Fee:   (US Government online)
  • MRV Application Fee:  (US Consulate)
  • Visa Issuance / Reciprocity Fee:  (US Consulate)
  • Medical Insurance* Coverage
  • Return International Air Fare
  • In-Country Travel Costs
  • Accommodation and living expenses (depends on location – budget $900 per month for lodging and $200 per week meals and living expenses)


  • Medical benefits of at least US $100,000 per accident or illness;/span>
  • Repatriation of remains amount of US $25,000;
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation from the US in the amount of US $50,000; and
  • A deductible not to exceed US $500 per accident or illness.

To apply, please send to [email protected] the following documents via email:

  • Completed Application form and all the required forms
  • Proof of tertiary enrollment, including completion of first year and ongoing study or graduation certificate
  • Bio page of your passport and previous US visas, if any.
  • Two (2) Character reference
  • Financial support statement
  • Health insurance coverage (You do not need to buy the insurance until we are ready to issue the DS-2019 form. Just send us details of coverage of the insurance that you intend to use for your program)

Frequently Asked Questions

You can view some of our Frequently Asked Questions using the link below.

For more information